Monday, November 5, 2007

Web Site Links Question

Jeff Atwood of Coding Horror had a cool post the Art of Hyperlinking.

I agree with almost everything he listed with regard to links.

However, it brought to mind a disagreement that I recently had with a coworker.

A coworker reviewed an application that I built and made the statement that EVERY LINK on EVERY PAGE should have an underline. I disagreed and was shot down. I was not complaining about the work. It was only a few lines in the css file to implement. However, if you look and Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, and other big name web sites that have millions of uses, they do not follow any rule that says EVERY LINK on EVERY PAGE should always have an underline. I was already using an underline on the hover over event, and changing the background color for the cell. They felt that was not enough, and was inconsistent. They said, that if you underline one link on the site, you should underline every link all the time.

So I guess my real question is what do you think of the rule that some want to make that "EVERY LINK on EVERY PAGE should have an underline"?

No comments: